Subject: populating netbsd-rd
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/11/1997 15:55:33

  Is there a script somewhere that builds the NetBSD kernel ramdisk
image? I want to use some serial port connected sun3s as network
testing tools, and just need telnet/ftp/ping on them, and thought to
boot a ramdisk kernel over the net.

  I can't use NFS, because I might have to change IP addresses, etc..

  Also, our netboot is much smaller than SunOS's, but it doesn't seem
to work for me. (last time I network booted, we didn't have our own)
  I get:

>b le()
Boot: le(0,0,0)
Using IP Address 205.233.54.131 = CDE93683
Booting from tftp server at 205.233.54.134 = CDE93686
Downloaded 19477 bytes from tftp server.

Exception 10 at 0000400A

  (this is with code sup'ed and built today, although after my
previous problems with sup forgetting some directories, I'm not
convinced I have everything...)

  vs (different machine, but they both boot with the SunOS one)

>b le()
Boot: le(0,0,0)
Using IP Address 205.233.54.139 = CDE9368B
Booting from tftp server at 205.233.54.134 = CDE93686
Downloaded 104936 bytes from tftp server.

Using IP Address 205.233.54.139 = CDE9368B
hostname: pippin.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Boot: null domain name returned by bootparam server
server name 'istari.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca'
root pathname '/export/root/pippin'
root on istari.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca:/export/root/pippin fstype nfs
Boot: vmunix
Size: 466492+284060+87436 bytes
console on zs0 (ttya)
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

  Also, can I download the netbsd-rd with TFTP instead of NFS?
  I noticed that my kernel decided to use the console declared in the
EEPROM rather than what the PROM was using. I don't have a keyboard
plugged in. I had to bang location 1f to fix that.
  It would be cool to do DHCP in netboot though :-)

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security programming, currently
   Michael Richardson | on contract with DataFellows F-Secure IPSec
 WWW: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.