Subject: Re: i need advice on hardware and an OS
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Andrew Walker <andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/11/1997 08:28:17
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Jeremy Cooper wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> > looking at my .sig.....  these are for web wanking.  so color is important. :)
> > i was thinking along the lines of a sun3x machine, but that raises the
> > question of how stable is NetBSD on the sun3x platform?  is it at "production"
> > level yet? or would SunOS be a better choice at this time??
>
> The current sun3x code is stable for the 3/80; the only way to crash it
> that I know of is to run out of VM by forking at least 80 processes (which
> can be fixed.)  Unfortunately, there aren't any color framebuffer drivers
> in the kernel yet, which as you said, is important to your self
> stimulation. =)  I'd integrate the code in a flash if I or someone I knew
> had a color framebuffer to test with.

Hi J.

I've got a 3/80 at home with a cgfour. I've not tried the cgfour yet,
and I don't even have NetBSD installed right now - but if you want to
start integrating that code then I should be able to set up a test
environment pretty damn quick. The only problem right now is that I
don't have a spare colour multisync monitor (or a Sun original) - but
I can always borrow from the wife's PC ;-)

-Andy

Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

   ......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......

(pwei barmy army - oslo "filial")