Subject: Re: i need advice on hardware and an OS
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/10/1997 23:50:02
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> what would be a good minimal setup to run NutScrape and maybe a couple xterms
> without really dogged performance?

A Sun 3/50 is fine to run an xterm or six. Netscape is a different
matter entirely; given the performance I've seen for 1-bit-plane
Netscape on a 3/50 (completely doggy), I expect a 3/60 or 3/80
would not provide decent speed when you've got eight bit planes to
deal with. Sparcstation 1 or 1+ level might do ok, though.

> what is a good solution the the $500
> problem?

> i would like either 17" or 19" monitors.  on that note i found a
> source for Sun Sony 17" color tubes (PN 365-1143) for $50 each.  what is the
> general condition of these monitors? clean, clear & crisp, or muddy, dark and
> fuzzy like the 17" Sun Sony monitor on my LX at work?

Of the four 17" Sun monitors I own, only one is fuzzy. The other
three are absoutely wonderful. However, $50 is a lot less than the
going rate for a 17" Sun Trinitron; I usually see them at $150-$250,
so these $50 ones may not be in brilliant shape.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'