Subject: Re: Sun3/160C question
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
From: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/1997 19:54:47
> This is slightly off-topic, but I have the opportunity to pick up
> a 3/160C and am wondering if it would be worth getting to run NetBSD.
>
> The biggest problem is going to be moving the thing. :)
>
> The description I've been given is:
>
>   The SUN is full size:  8 feet tall, 4 feet deep and 3 feet wide + array
>   processor + terminal.  Weight ???
>
> Anyone think it's worth paying to have it shipped?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I mean, I love the old things, but I would be pretty hesitant to pay
shipping on what you describe -- take a week of vacation and rent a U-haul!
(Maybe they will crate it and ship it via rail.)

Part of the answer depends on where they are and where you are.
And it is worth facing that a 3/160 is a pretty slow old beast.
I am now running a 3/260 and find it shocking how slow it runs
(I did a make depend on a kernel build the other night and thought
the system had crashed.  It was OK, but it took 25 minutes or so.)

I bought a similar system here in town.  The big SMD disks and tape
drive are still stashed in an office nearby (if we ever hire another
engineer, I am going to face a crisis however), the tape drive
took a forklift to get out of the rack, and the big SMD drives
took two of us to move and you risk loosing a foot if you drop one.

The big racks went down to a electronics scrap yard where I was
able to trade them for a variac.  My back actually hurt for about
a week after tearing the racks apart and moving the stuff around.

However, I did get a nice rack-mount 4/280 out of the deal with 64M of
ECC memory cards, so it was worth it.  (and lots of other goodies too).
With scsi disks it will nicely fit in about a 2-foot cube --
and it will heat the house (just the thing for June in Tucson).

The SMD drives were wired for single phase 110V, so don't let that
worry you.  I think trying to run more than two of them might take
down a normal 15A house circuit tho.  I may try to run some smaller
(for SMD's) 8-inch jobs with 700M capacity, but the big full size
eagles ...... I dunno.

	Tom

--
	Tom Trebisky			Steward Observatory