Subject: Re: Output redirection - am I stupid?
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/1997 14:02:03
On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:

> I am having a problem with output redirection. I want to send all console
> messages to /dev/null (or another place) when I start up X, so I don't
> get text across my X display.

Console messages generally come from two places: the kernel and syslog.
Kernel printf()s are not related to any process in the system and are thus
not redirectable.  They are out-of-bounds with the I/O system in most
ways.  Syslog, however, is configurable.  Check your /etc/syslog.conf and
see what facilities and priorities are sent to /dev/console.

-J