Subject: Output redirection - am I stupid?
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/1997 10:53:06
Hi guys.

I am having a problem with output redirection. I want to send all console
messages to /dev/null (or another place) when I start up X, so I don't
get text across my X display.

I have tried many redirection commands:

>&
&>
2&>1
2>&1

I can redirect stdout just fine, but stderr is the problem.

What is my problem?? I know this is a standard Unix problem,
and it works on my Linux systems, but with my 3/60, I cannot redirect
my way out of a paper bag.

Am I just missing something?

BTW- I am using bash 2.0 and csh. Both fail. The X server is X11R6.1 from
Gordon Ross. Thanks Gordon!

Off subject- does anyone know where I can get sources for xload?
--
Jeremy Worrells                 Undergraduate - Computer Science
jworrell@nunic.nu.edu           National University