Subject: Re: Cdrom versus SunOs. (Yes, you can install a sun 3 from a CD)
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eng-Teck Lee <elee1@mustang.uwo.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/02/1997 14:07:38
On Tue, 27 May 1997, Bob Beck wrote:

> I can verify this also works on NetBSD. That is, unless someone doesn't
> confirm for you that this can be done before I find the damn caddy. (rummage
> rummage)

  You can mount this using NetBSD, I haven't done it in awhile.  I
remember having a problem with it awhile back and that was because I
forgot to state the read only setting of the CDROM (it was not defaulted
to read-only in NetBSD 1.1, I'm not sure of 1.2).  However, my cd was only
4.1.1 (no _U1).

  As for booting the machine from a Sun3 with CD-ROM without the old proms
it works just fine on my 3/60.  I've done it successfully several times
now. If you need a method and are willing to take a chance taking in mind
that it works for me doesn't always mean it'll work for someone else you
can visit the page at:  http://gaul.csd.uwo.ca:8080/~lee24/suncd.html
I don't see why it shouldn't work the same way for a 3/80 but I don't have
one to try it out with.

(Also I called the proms - bios/prom, my bias showing and let's not start
up a discussion about this again. =)

Eng-teck

        |  Eng-Teck Lee       |  elee1@mustang.uwo.ca             |
        |                     |  lee24@gaul.csd.uwo.ca            |