Subject: Re: X11 on monochrome sun3
To: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/31/1997 21:47:36

> I am just in the middle of trying to set up Gordon Ross's X11R6 for
> sun3 distribution (from arch/sun3/x11r6).  I am running on a 3/260
> and using a hi-res monitor on the monochrome framebuffer.  Typing
> "xinit" just torques the upper part of the screen out of shape and
> I have to rlogin from another machine and kill the Xserver.  So,
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1) Any idea what is wrong?  My theory is that is is treating this
> like a standard 1152x900 framebuffer (but the 3/260 only does
> the 1600x1100 monochrome),

	Your theory is probably right. I have a schwack of 1600x1100
3/60's. The quick fix is /dev/bwtwo0. Check the device. Major 27 Minor 0 is
the low res, Major 27 Minor 1 is hi res :

cab005:~>ls -l /dev/bw*
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     staff     27,   1 Sep  3  1992 /dev/bwtwo0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     staff     27,   0 Dec 27  1991 /dev/bwtwo0-
cab005:~>

	This one currently has a hi-res monitor. I've left the
normal one sitting there as /dev/bwtwo0- so I don't forget when
I have to slap a regular monitor on it.

> but I could be wrong.  No documented args
> on how to set modes or resolution or the like.  I suppose most folks
> use color framebuffers and monitors :-<

	Pah! defeats the pupose.  Color is a fuzzy as a PC monitor.  I
haven't found a $3000 21 inch monitor yet that'll beat my nice old
mono Sun3 head for eye-searing-cut-through-48-hours-awake
crispness. Color is for web wanking.  mono is for writing code.
Gimme a Mono Sun 3 and an expresso machine any day :-)

	Cheers,

	-Bob