Subject: Re: terminal server
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/30/1997 14:33:44
Curt Sampson drunkenly mumbled...

> I'm using a multiport serial card and Paul Vixie's `rtty' program,
> which I find works much better. A daemon on each line stays connected
> and logs all the data that go through, and you can connect to the
> daemon to see what's going on using a client called `console.' You
> can have mulitiple connections at the same time, which is handy
> when you've left a connection going at home, but want to connect
> from work to reboot a machine or whatever.

i like the idea, however, the machines will be too far away from my NetBSD/i386
machine to do that.  i was thinking along the lines of a terminal server since
that could be hooked into the ethernet and be reached from my desktop machine.
(the machines will have ethernet connected to them, but i will still need a
console of some sort)

in the future these machines won't even be in the same building with me, but
will be connected by ethernet with a fiber loop between the buildings.

-brian

--
I'm asking because I've got two VS3100's in need of a real and pleasant to
use operating system.  (VMS is unpleasant and Ultrix is not a real OS).

		-Brian D Chase (asking about NetBSD support of the VS3100)