Subject: Re: Cdrom versus SunOs. (Yes, you can install a sun 3 from a CD)
To: Pete Plank <plankp@kic.or.jp>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/27/1997 21:03:03
	No no no.. You can mount the thing just fine. At least for me
a:

mount -o ro -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom

mounts my SunOS 4.1.1 CD on my Linux box just fine. I'm currently looking
through my Dungeon for my steeenking CD caddy for my Sun CD/ROM drive so
I can verify this also works on NetBSD. That is, unless someone doesn't
confirm for you that this can be done before I find the damn caddy. (rummage
rummage)

	You can't boot a Sun3 from it (You supposedly boot a 3x with
the last series boot proms, but I've never tried)

	You can however install quite satisfactorily from it, assuming
you have a machine on the network to boot from. I installed 4.1.1 off
this CD To a sun 3/80 by using another machine to boot off of. I
actually used the Xkernel package as a starting point, although that's
just because I didn't have a diskless SunOS client set up at the time
and that was the easiest way to get a minimal one. The point of
booting diskless is to dd the miniroot onto the hard drive. I had to
add dd, format, and a couple of shared libs to get what i needed. You
get format and dd to work, format the drive, dd the miniroot from the
CD into the swap area, and then boot from the miniroot. When it boots,
there's one little cheat: suninstall doesn't understand an NFS install
from CD. It wants to dd from a Sun CD on a sun. Unless you have a sun
handy with CD on it, "Remote CD/Rom install" won't work from other
things. So what you do is you drop out of sunistall to a shell, mount
the CD over NFS from the boothost on to /usr/etc/install/tar (the silly
place it mounts the CD when running locally). and then run
suninstall. You tell it you'll be installing from a local CD (which you
don't have) and it will complain that the mount of the CD to
/usr/etc/install/tar failed (no kidding). Just continue merrily along
and it will discover what it needs there and plunge bravely forward
:-)

	Drop me a personal note if you're insane enough (as I was) to
do this and I'll try to find the gory details of how to do it (which I
do have written down somewhere) to mail you.  It's not really that
bad. I'd rank it about a 6 on the scale of Vendor Unix installation
pain. (For reference, Cloning or Installing IRIX 6.2 SGI machines is a
10, Cloning SunOS or *BSD machines over the network is a 1)

If you can manage this and still come out feeling that dd is your
friend and braindead inflexible vendor install programs are nothing
you can't lick, I've got a Labful of 20 Indys for ya. IRIX
installation tools are enough to make anyone who knows better squeal
like a baby seal being clubbed.

	-Bob