Subject: Re: Problems getting the miniroot
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/27/1997 16:14:05
On Tue, 27 May 1997, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:

> I am having some more problems. I got the machine to boot over the net (!)
> but now cannot fetch the miniroot. I keep getting odd "permission denied"
> errors.
>
> All the install stuff for NetBSD is in the /usr/export/root directory. I can
> mount that dir via NFS, but can only see one of the files there, netbsd.
> All the others show up but are "permission denied".
>
> Example:
>
> ssh: ls /mnt
> D:0755	3	0	0	1024 May 27 20:42 .
> D:0755	8	0	0	 512 Sep 13 21:37 ..
> netboot: Permission denied
> netbsd-rd: Permission denied
> miniroot: Permission denied
> CD8E7C5A: Permission denied
> F:0644	1	0	0     900565 May 27 19:14 netbsd
> goofert: Permission denied
>
> At the server, all files have the same permissions. I cannot even look at any
> other dirs if I nfs mount them. I get a Permission Denied warning when I try
> and ls any other nfs-mounted dir.

yeah.  go to the server and give everyone read permissions on all files.
(chmod a+r *)  if that fixes it, figgure out how to get your NFS server
to not squash root logins.

I took me 5 months to figgure out that was why I couldn't get my systems
to boot.  (accually that only affected one system, anyone want a 3/60
that fials POST with inturrept failures?)