Subject: Re: bootparam/whoami RPC failed?
To: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/23/1997 12:27:14
Henry W Miller wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 1997, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:
>
> > I finally got my Sun3 to work and am trying to get it to boot off my Linux
> > box so I can install NetBSD. I get the right IP address and gets the netboot
> > alright, but fails on bootparam. The following error message appears:

> > Using IP addresss xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = xxxxxxxx
> > boot: client addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > bootparamd: 'whoami' call failed
> > net_open: bootparam/whoami RPC failed
> > boot: netbsd: Input/output error
> > boot:
> >
> > Arrgh!
> > I ran callbootd from my Linux box and got all the right info:
> >
> > # callbootd <server IP> <client IP>
> > Whoami returning:
> > client_name:	goofert
> > domain_name:	(none)
> > router: 127.0.0.1
>
> I don't know what callbootd is, but I think you are looking in the wrong
> place.  You need to check bootparamd, NOT bootd.
>
> do a 'ps -a' and make sure bootparamd is running.
> make sure that /etc/bootparamd (or similer filename) has the needed entries.
>
> feel stupid like most of the rest of use when we suddenly realise that
> bootp is a different beast from bootparamd.

callbootd is a test facility for bootparamd. You issue it from the server and
it gives you back any info that bootparamd would return. callbootd issues the
request and bootparamd gives the info. It is the right stuff, as you can see
above.

bootparamd is running. Checked and doublechecked.

/etc/bootparams has the following entry:

goofert root=kumonojo:/usr/export/root

Everything looks kosher. /etc/bootparams is mode 600, owner root, group wheel.
If I change the mode to 644, still nothing.

Any more ideas?

--
Jeremy Worrells                 Undergraduate - Computer Science
jworrell@nunic.nu.edu           National University