Subject: Re: FPA board support
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/15/1997 15:04:05
Gordon W. Ross drunkenly mumbled...

> (I am always amused to see people pay lots of cash for floating point
> speed that has absolutely no impact on the application they run! 8^)

way back in the old days, (go ahead, groan, think to yourself, here we go, a
when i was a kid story) when i was adding FPU chips to 386 machines that were
used to run AutoCAD, one of the engineers descided he really wanted one for
his PC at home.  i asked him what he ran on it, and his answer was WordPerfect.
i tried to explain to him that it wouldn't help, WordPerfect didn't use
floating point math (a word processor that uses floating point math? one hell
of a word processor if you ask me) and it wouldn't get him any speed, did no
good, i couldn't stop him from spending nearly $200 to add an FPU to his
machine.  some people just don't get it.

-brian

--
"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
 Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding!  Evil