Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on SunOS 4.1.1 system
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1997 18:42:07
>> Once you have NetBSD running, you will want to go into single user
>> mode and run fsck -2.  This will update the filesystems to the more
>> modern NetBSD format..

> Um, except for the root FS - as I understood it, doing this will make
> the boot PROMs unhappy - unable to boot the system from this modern
> NetBSD FFS partition.  Not true any more?

Not true any more.

The boot ROM code needs a Sun-style disklabel, but beyond that
everything is up to the code in the boot program found in the first 8K
of the specified partition.  If you're using SunOS _bootblocks_, then
you need an old-format filesystem...but NetBSD/sun3 now has fully
native bootblocks.  The only piece of compatability necessary is the
disk label.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca