Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on SunOS 4.1.1 system
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1997 18:38:35
> I just got my Sun 3/60.  It came with [...SunOS 4.1.1 on one disk,
> other disk blank...]

> Does having a working OS on the machine make my job easier?

Yes.  Much.

Here's how I'd handle that:

- Use SunOS to label and partition the new drive.
- newfs your / (and any other filesystems, eg /usr or /var) and mount
   them someplace; for simplicity, I'll assume /mnt.
- Untar the binary tarballs into /mnt.
- Copy the SunOS /boot to something like /mnt/boot.sunos.
- Install SunOS bootblocks on the new drive with SunOS installboot,
   pointing them at the SunOS boot you just copied.
- Make sure you have netbsd and ufsboot in place on the new drive.
- Boot from the new drive, with -a.  When the SunOS bootblock prompts
   you for a kernel name, give it ufsboot.  Tell ufsboot to boot
   netbsd.  (It may work to just tell the SunOS bootblocks to boot
   NetBSD.  I know what I describe here works with the SunOS 3.5
   bootblocks, which can't boot netbsd directly because they have a 1M
   size limit.)
- You now have a running NetBSD.  Run NetBSD installboot to install
   native NetBSD bootblocks on that drive.

At this point you should be able to trash SunOS, but I'd advise keeping
it around for a couple of weeks just out of paranoia.

It might work to point the SunOS bootblocks at ufsboot instead of
having to copy the SunOS second-stage bootblock and then jump through
hoops to get netbsd loaded; I haven't tried that.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca