Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on SunOS 4.1.1 system
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1997 15:08:49
On Wed, 14 May 1997, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:

> I just got my Sun 3/60. It came with 24MB RAM, (2) 1GB disks, QIC-24 tape, and
> 20" color monitor. One of the drives has SunOS 4.1.1 installed and running. The
> other 1GB drive is blank, ready to install NetBSD. I have all the tarfiles for
> NetBSD 1.2 and X11R6 and I am ready to go for the install.

A SunOS filesystem is compatible with NetBSD.  You can format, partition,
mount, and untar NetBSD onto the other drive under SunOS.  The tricky part
will be trying to boot from that drive without the aid of NetBSD to
install the boot blocks.

Try installing a SunOS boot block on the drive.  However, instead of using
the secondary SunOS 'boot' program, use the NetBSD ufsboot file.
(Found in /usr/mdec on NetBSD.  See the SunOS installboot man page and
this will all make sense.)

Once you have NetBSD running, you will want to go into single user mode
and run fsck -2.  This will update the filesystems to the more modern
NetBSD format..

-J