Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on SunOS 4.1.1 system
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1997 15:06:58
At 14:57 -0700 5/14/97, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:
>Hi folks.
>
>I just got my Sun 3/60. It came with 24MB RAM, (2) 1GB disks, QIC-24 tape, =
and
>20" color monitor. One of the drives has SunOS 4.1.1 installed and
>running. The
>other 1GB drive is blank, ready to install NetBSD. I have all the tarfiles =
for
>NetBSD 1.2 and X11R6 and I am ready to go for the install.
>
>Does having a working OS on the machine make my job easier? Could I just
>format
>the blank drive and install the tarfiles? Or do I have to go through the me=
ss
>of making boot tapes?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>Jeremy Worrells                 Undergraduate - Computer Science
>jworrell@nunic.nu.edu           National University
>jworrell@priacc.com             http://nunic.nu.edu/~jworrell

Having a working OS *definitely* helps.

0. boot SunOS
1. format the blank drive.
2. partition the blank drive.
3. follow the installation instructions for copying the miniroot into the
"b" (swap) partition of your formerly blank drive.
4. newfs the "a" (root) partition of the blank drive.
5. shutdown
6. boot from the "b" partition of the formerly blank drive.
7. install from the miniroot (NetBSD can mount SunOS partitions).

This kind of thing made life for me *much* easier, especially since I did
this kind of thing when there were no boot tapes...

	Erik