Subject: Re: Anybody know the jumper settings for a "si" card?
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Absolute(Zero) <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/13/1997 23:20:07
On Wed, 14 May 1997, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> [Configuration of sun3/260]
>
> Today I picked up a 3/110 that has a 4mb RAM card and the si0 SCSI card. If
> I take the card and drop it into the /260 then the /260 has a fit. When trying
> to boot from sd(,,), it hangs the SCSI bus. The drive light comes on and
> stays on -- the prom complains that the bus is continously busy.
>
> If I try to boot from sd(1,,) (the 105mb drive hooked up has a 4.1.1_u1
> install), the prom k2's and then traps.
>
> I assume this means that both cards are trying to be at the same address?
>
> How do I set the jumpers on the backplane? Do I pull out the bottom two for
> that slot? Both P903 and P904? Either? Just P904?
>
> How do I jumper the si0 card to not conflict with the sc0?
>
> The plan is to install NetBSD on the si0 card (and 105mb drive), and NFS mount
> /usr and such. Then I would have sc0 with drives and a tape drive, for testing.
>
> Oh, and while I'm here: Which of those other cards will cause problems? How
> can I get around those problems? Taking the cards out is an option, but the
> safest place for them is inside the machine.

	Have you checked out the sun FAQ:
		http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/FAQ/sun.hardware.FAQ
	You might want to search for 'SCSI controller boards' (2nd time),
	and '3/260 using'.

	According to this only a single scsi adaptor is supported, though
	it does have information on how to change the address :)

	Have you tried just replacing the sc card with the si? Some
	si cards supported both internal and external connections...

	If you can get panels to replace them I'd pull any cards you're
	not using - will make the machine run cooler, which is always
	a good thing!

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more --'