Subject: Re: need part # info
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/02/1997 14:40:17
> > 	What you really want is an 'si' scsi controller, rather than an
> > 	'sc' (the sc is a less capabale product and there is not currently
> > 	a driver for NetBSD, though der Mouse is working on one)
>
> i'm at work right now, so i can't check the part number, but each of the
> 3/180s came with a SCSI tape controller, it;s the Xylogics Multibus in a
> Multibus-VME adapter deal.  do these have any worth? or are they the
> 'sc' controllers you are talking about.  i'd like to avoid these for
> hard drives anyway since they are Multibus cards, but i was just curious
> about them.

	IIRC I had a 3/150 and a 3/160, with an 'sc' and 'si'
	respectively, and both were straight VME cards - though the 'sc'
	was a 6U card in a 6U->9U converter. (I cannot remember the 'si').

	As for worth - I'd certainly get one of them to boot NetBSD
	diskless and see how it goes!

	For reference you should also be able to use sun4 VME cards.