Subject: Re: Pre-compiled libkvm & utilities now available for sun3x
To: None <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/12/1997 15:41:42
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>

> The libkvm and binaries for the sun3x are now available for ftp at
> ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3x/binary/.
>
> As a general status report here are the latest happenings with
> NetBSD/sun3x:
>
> * Floppy disk driver for 3/80 now integrated.
> * X11R6-sun3 works in mono mode.  There currently isn't support for
>   any color framebuffers in the kernel.  (anyone?)
>
> There are a couple of known 'ugly-features':
>
> * ESP chip 'reselect' bug appears when issuing SCSI traffic to more than
>   one target.
> * Interrupt servicing latency in the Zilog serial port driver can cause
>   the floppy driver to complain when there is simultaneous serial and
>   floppy I/O.
>
> Both of these are solvable.  Gordon is working on trimming down the
> interrupt handler for the serial port to not be such a hog.  As for the
> ESP chip, SCSI target disconnection will have to be disabled until a
> workaround for the hardware can be found.  I'm still searching how to
> disable disconnect in the kernel config file.

Here is how you disable reselect in your kernel config file:

*** sun3x/conf/GENERIC~	Fri Apr 11 17:56:17 1997
--- sun3x/conf/GENERIC	Sat Apr 12 15:35:50 1997
***************
*** 81,88 ****
  # Disk and tape devices
  #

  # Emulex SCSI (3/80 only)
! esp0 at obio0 addr 0x66000000 ipl 2

  # Floppy drive
  fdc0 at obio0 addr 0x6e000000 ipl 6 vect 0x40
--- 81,97 ----
  # Disk and tape devices
  #

+ # Note the flags on the esp entries below, that work around
+ # deficiencies in the current driver:
+ #	bits 0-7:  disable disconnect/reselect for the corresponding target
+ #	bits 8-15: disable synch negotiation for target [bit-8]
+ #	Note: targets 4-7 have disconnect/reselect enabled on the premise
+ #	      that tape devices normally have one of these targets. Tape
+ #	      devices should be allowed to disconnect for the SCSI bus
+ #	      to operate acceptably.
+ #
  # Emulex SCSI (3/80 only)
! esp0 at obio0 addr 0x66000000 ipl 2 flags 0xff0f