Subject: X11R6.3 binaries...
To: None <gramlich@eosinc.com>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/27/1997 16:58:41
Jay Gramlich <gramlich@eosinc.com> writes:

  > I've seen some discussion about X11 binaries. Can anyone point
  > me to any 6.3 binaries? I've been thinking about makeing up an
  > Xkernel type thing based on NetBSD but really don't look forward
  > to compiling X on my diskless 3/60 :(.

I have done this (ie built X11R6.3 for the sun3) *and* set up an Xkernel
like configuration. I also built the servers in both dynamically linked
and statically linked versions. Statically liked is better for Xkernel
so you don't need all the shared libraries and ld.so.

I am happy to tar up the binaries if someone can give me a place to
upload them to.

Equally, and in fact a lot smaller, I can tar up the the Xkernel root
I am using.  The only thing I haven't been able to do is configure
the kernel to not need swap at all. It has been suggested to me that
that capability will be coming.

I needed to compile some of the stuff in the Xkernel source. I gave up
on their syslog and modified the NetBSD syslog slightly (to read
from a fifo instead of a socket).

Ian