Subject: Re: sun3x Netbsd...
To: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/19/1997 19:38:19
On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Bob Beck wrote:

> 	I've got a couple of 3/80's and would like to give the cat a
> kick.  I heard an ugly rumour that sun3x support is making it's way
> into NetBSD-current.  Anyone got something I can start from or some
> pointers to it?

The rumours you heard were true, but I certainly hope they weren't ugly.

Right now you have two choices in your selection of NetBSD/sun3x.  If you
are looking for quick setup time without having to compile anything, I
suggest you try the ``unofficial'' NetBSD/sun3x being ported by Tsubai
Manasari et. al.  They have done a nice job of providing pre-compiled
kernels and sources based on NetBSD-current.  See:

http://elilin.hss.titech.ac.jp/NetBSD/en/sun3x.html
or the japanese version:
http://elilin.hss.titech.ac.jp/NetBSD/

If you are looking for the ``officially'' supported version.  You will
have to download the kernel sources from NetBSD-current and compile them.
Instructions for doing so are in the newly created sun3x section of
www.netbsd.org:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sun3x/

Hopefully this situation will change very shortly, and you will be able to
download reasonably current pre-compiled versions from the NetBSD ftp
site.  I am working on this as we speak.

-J