Subject: Getting sun3x `-current'
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/10/1997 17:15:10
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Glenn E. Thobe wrote:

> I am not clear on how to obtain the sun3x port.  Checking the Web site,
> I see only the Sun 3 (sun3) listed[.]

The sun3x port wasn't ready in time for the latest release of NetBSD -
1.2.  It's only available as part of what we call 'NetBSD-current'.

NetBSD-current is an ever changing dynamic entity that isn't available in
a pre-packaged, easily-installable set like the other official releases.
Every now and then NetBSD-current settles down enough such that someone
has time to make a release out of it.  The next release, NetBSD-1.3,
should officially support the sun3x.  However, the web pages you see now
were frozen from the day that NetBSD-1.2 was released.  In a sense, they
are outdated in respect to the current activity of the OS.

In any case, this doesn't mean that NetBSD-current isn't available, it's
just a slight hassle to assemble.  You can use a package named 'SUP' to
get the latest sources, however I can't help you with that, because I have
never used SUP.  (I wish I knew more.  You might find hints at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/doc/README.sup, but I can't
promise that they will be helpful.)

The other and much simpler option in my opinion is getting the files from
any NetBSD ftp site.  To build NetBSD-sun3x-current you will need the
kernel source package:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/tar_files/sys.tar.gz

This is (currently) a 9 MB file containing the entire kernel source tree.
Some parts of it are not needed to compile a sun3x kernel.  You will need
all files in all the directories except for src/sys/arch.  In that
directory you will only need:

m68k/
sun3/
sun3x/

I cannot include a general description of how to configure and build a
kernel here.  I assume you already know how to do so.  To answer a
previous question posted here - yes, you can build it with a
NetBSD-sun3-1.2B gcc.

-J