Subject: Re: netbsd-1.2/sun3 GENERIC panics at cpu_switch after adding more memory....
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/02/1997 22:06:58
[ On Sat, March 1, 1997 at 23:16:19 (GMT), Greg A. Woods wrote: ]
> Subject: netbsd-1.2/sun3 GENERIC panics at cpu_switch after adding more memory....
>
> I've just added a 32MB RAM card to one of my diskless 3/260's running
> NetBSD-1.2 GENERIC.  It now panics shortly after xdm gets going in
> locore.s with "cpu_switch".  Xdm seems to dump core just before the
> crash too.  The memory tests run A-OK.

OK, I think I made a silly mistake.  I pulled out the supposedly
offending 32MB card and noticed the suspicious bus terminator resistor
pack still in its socket....  I quickly removed it and tried to boot
again.  Unfortunately I then got a memory error panic as xlogin was
starting and sure enough there was an un-correctable error light on the
card.

So, for now I've replaced it with a spare 16MB card, and all is well.

Unfortunately even with more than adequate memory (40MB, 18 free
according to systat after logging in to an X11 session), this 3/260 is
very perceptively slower running NetBSD-1.2 diskless than a physically
slower and less amply configured 3/60 (12MB) running SunOS-4.1.1U1
diskless.  The only difference I'm unable to account for with
hard measurements is the difference between X11R5 on a mono bw2 and
X11R6 on the CG2.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods