Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 Video
To: None <Adrian_Roseboom@hud.gov>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/30/1997 14:21:58
> Does the 3/60 color take RGB+sync? or sync on green?

4BNC, separate sync, at least in my experience.

> I know the resolutions of these buffers but could someone also pass
> on their color limits?

The cg4 hardware, which is what color -3/60s have as far as I know, has
ten bits per pixel, organized as an 8-bit color plane (like a cg2), a
1-bit color plane (which is usually used as if it were monochrome), and
a 1-bit enable plane that determines per-pixel which of the other two
controls the video signal for that pixel.  The two 1-bit planes look
pretty much like bwtwos to software; I forget (if I ever knew) how one
goes about setting the colormap on the 1-bit color plane.

A cg2, or the 8-bit plane of a cg4, has eight bits per pixel, which
index into a 256-entry colormap; the output from the colormap is 24
bits, 8 bits each red/green/blue.  So you have a palette of 256 colors,
each of which can independently be any of 16777216 possible colors.  (A
real cg2 also provides a view of its framebuffer as eight one-bit
planes instead of one eight-bit plane; AFAIK the cg4 doesn't do
anything similar with its 8-bit plane.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca