Subject: RE: NetBSD/sun3x
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jun Yoshida <jun@bug.co.jp>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/28/1997 11:23:28
Hello,

I ftped X11R6/sun3 binaries from a NetBSD mirror site yesterday, and
extracted the tar archives onto my Sun3/80 whch has only 8M of memory.
It worked!! I didn't need to modify or recompile anything to use the sun3
binaries.

I believe that some time this year Gordon Ross and Jeremy Cooper will
deliver
the official sun3x release which  provides support  for more machines and
preripherals thanTsubai's, but if you have a 3/80 box now without any OS to
run,  I definitely recommend that you use his kernel. You can use most
NetBSD1.2/sun3 binaries except for those that use libkvm. Tsubai has
uploaded recompiled binaries such as ps, w, libc, libkvm, etc. at the same
server below, so you don't have to recompile them yourself.
The latest kernel is dated Jan. 25.

> My friend Tsubai Masanari is also porting NetBSD to Sun3/80 by himself.
> His kernel is now booting up on Sun3/80, and SCSI (esp) and
> ethernet (le) are already working well. The kernel binary and
> sources are available on the following web page:
>
> http://elilin.hss.titech.ac.jp/NetBSD/en/sun3x.html

  Jun Yoshida @ BUG., Inc., Sapporo, Japan
  Tel. +81-11-807-6631 Fax +81-11-807-6646