Subject: Re: NetBSD/sun3x
To: None <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Glenn E. Thobe <thobe@lafn.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/24/1997 05:36:46
Jeremy-

> After nearly a year of research and design discussions, we (Gordon Ross
> and Jeremy Cooper) are pleased to announce that the NetBSD port to the
> Sun3X architecture has reached a major milestone.

Congratulations!

>    The 3/80 contains a (yet unknown) parallel port chipset which is
>    probably identical to the one found in the SPARC IPX.  (Do not quote me
>    on this.)  Once this driver is written, it should be beneficial to both
>    ports.  This is not nearly as crucial as SCSI and Ethernet.

I looked in my spare 3/80 without the frame buffer.  There are two
chips in the neighborhood of the serial port:

PARADISE/WDC
PPC1
38313
<Delta>8912

LSIL1A4533
100-2125-02
RESET
NAG 8916 <Delta>
8502 HONG KONG

If you know about parallel port controllers or have a catalog you should
be able to figure out which one is it.

BTW, a good project would be to replace the 8530 (VL85C30 by VLSI on
the 3/80) with a pin-compatible Z85230.  This would require soldering
on the board and a rewrite of the serial driver, but the enhanced
serial performance would be well worth the trouble.  It has been done
on the AT&T 3B1 COMBO card and that driver is obtainable in source
code form.

-Glenn Thobe
<thobe@lafn.org>