Subject: Re: parallel compile?
To: Stan Voket <asv@gaboon.nai.net>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/22/1997 22:04:53
At 15:25 -0800 1/22/97, Stan Voket wrote:
>I'd like to distribute a "make world" of /usr/src across several Sun
>3/50's and 3/60's to speed up the compilation of a full OS build.
>
>Does anyone out there do this? If so, I'd appreciate any help or
>pointers.

With NFS? Assuming you don't overload the NFS server, and you get the
dependencies in the right order, you could (in principle), you could do
something akin to

cd src
foreach dir ( * )
	"assign to other processor command" (cd $dir ; make )
end

The question is, which things would you have to serialize? What comes to my
mind is:

includes
tool chain
libraries

and then you could do everything else in parallel, including the kernel.

	Erik