Subject: Re: NetBSD/sun3x
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/20/1997 07:57:55
In <199701190555.AAA13152@amaterasu.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

>  So, is the 470 a 40Mhz system or what? What's an I/O cache?
>  I'd love one of those (if anyone knows available ones...)

The 3/470 runs the 68030/68882 at 33 MHz. It's a very nice system, but the
power consumption is a problem. The CPU board generates a lot of heat.

If NetBSD could make use of the caching hardware it would perform well on a
3/470 board. The only downer is that it doesn't have SIMM support, so you
have to use VME ECC RAM boards, but at least the 32 meg variety (the
501-1451's) are very cheap now.

Regards,

Craig.

--