Subject: Re: serial ports, yadda yadda yadda
To: Wonko the Sane <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/19/1997 12:41:14
On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Wonko the Sane wrote:

> port down from 115K to 38.4K because 38.4K got me better speeds.  i guess
> even with the fancy hardware kludge called a 16550 FIFO an ISA based 386

This is usually because of the modem itself, not the serial port.
Besides, why do you think a 14.4k modem is going to do anything better
than 38.4k?

> yea, i am definitely going to put the modem on one of the SUN 3/180's

Be prepared for lost packets and system load...  Seriously, an Intel
machine with a 16550 UART can handle a modem much more smoothly than any
Sun will.

Mike.

Mike Frisch	                        Email: mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org
Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch