Subject: Re: NetBSD/sun3x
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@shimada.nuee.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/18/1997 04:17:12
 |After nearly a year of research and design discussions, we (Gordon Ross
 |and Jeremy Cooper) are pleased to announce that the NetBSD port to the
 |Sun3X architecture has reached a major milestone.  The current
 |kernel boots up to the point just before mounting the root filesystem.
 |At this stage it is stable enough to facilitate the development device
 |drivers.

My friend Tsubai Masanari is also porting NetBSD to Sun3/80 by himself.
His kernel is now booting up on Sun3/80, and SCSI (esp) and
ethernet (le) are already working well. The kernel binary and
sources are available on the following web page:

http://elilin.hss.titech.ac.jp/NetBSD/en/sun3x.html

The web server host is the Sun3/80, running his version NetBSD/sun3x.

There are few documents about source codes, because
we are not so good at English composition. (Sorry.)

According to Masanari's description;

 * Based on 1.2 Release source tree.
 * Running only 3/80. (not 3/4xx)
 * SCSI (esp), ethernet (le), serial (zs) and bwtwo are working now,
   and other P4 flamebuffers should work easily.
 * VME devices not supported (yet). (3/80 doesn't have them, anyway...)
 * Kernel crash dump not implimented (yet).
 * IOMAPPER codes are incomplete. (lack of the device information...)
 * pmap, vm, trap, locore.s etc. were ported from hp300.
 * esp.c, dma.c were ported from sparc.
 * His kernel is now running for two or three weeks. (as http server etc.)

I think his sources are not compatible with current sun3x's sources,
but porting device drivers should be easy.

---
Izumi Tsutsui	Nagoya University,	JAPAN
tsutsui@shimada.nuee.nagoya-u.ac.jp