Subject: Re: Modem should go on which machine
From: Wonko the Sane (Brian Hechinger) <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/17/1997 08:49:10
Peter Seebach drunkenly mumbled...
> The sun3 port *appears* to be fine; it worked fairly reliably, getting up to
> 38400 steady, for days at a time.  I think I just broke something with a
> partial build.

so it looks like one SUN 3/180 will be getting this job.  for some strange
reason i feel much better having the modem on one of the 3/180's than i do
about having it on the 386, no matter what OS that hunk of crap is running.
30% CPU time to serve NFS connections.  and i want to make this machine an
NFS server until i get a machine better suited for it? christ.  one NFS
connection and one 9600bps download and updated running took the bloody thing
to a load average of 3.2  something tells me the hardware has a lot to do with
that.  anyway, i'm rambling again.

> Fax software:  I dunno, but I assume some of the free fax software works.

that seems to be the general consensus.

-wonko