Subject: Re: Cross compile from NetBSD/i386?
To: None <scotte@warped.com>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/15/1997 16:32:59
Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com> writes:
  > Your patches worked great Ian, thanks!

  > The only "problem" I have with them is that 'ldd' doesn't want to
  > admit that the binary is dynamically linked.  The compiled binaries
  > run on an m68k machine, so ld.so (or crt0.o) can find the libs just fine,
  > however ldd insists that this is not a dynamically linked binary.

  > Any ideas?  Is this simply a magic number problem, or is there something
  > screwey going on here?

I have this problem too. I think it is because we are using the binutils
strip which doesn't understand the dynamically linked flag in the
magic no. If you get an unstripped binary ldd seems to do the right thing.

As to the best fix, I don't know. The NetBSD strip may need modification
to work in cross compiled environment. On the other hand, it may not
be too hard to fix binutils so as to preserve the "dynamically linked"
flag if it was set, even if it doesn't understand anything else about
dynamic linking. I haven't time or motivation at the moment, but if
you fix it, let me know!

Ian