Subject: Re: NetBSD/sun3x
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: BrandonButterworth <brandon@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/14/1997 23:34:13
> After nearly a year of research and design discussions, we (Gordon Ross
> and Jeremy Cooper) are pleased to announce that the NetBSD port to the
> Sun3X architecture has reached a major milestone.

Congratulations.

>    The Sun3x architecture contains two possible SCSI devices: an Emulex
>    chip used in model 3/80, and an unknown chipset in the 3/470.

I'll have a look in the morning, I have a 3/470 board lying around.

> The Emulex is probably identical to that used in most SPARC 4Cs.

The Sparc 2 has an NCR 53C90A, I suspect the Emulex is a clone of
the older 5380.

>    The 3/80 contains a (yet unknown) parallel port chipset which is
>    probably identical to the one found in the SPARC IPX.

My IPX doesn't have a parallel port. The parallel port uses a PC chip,
the Paradise/Western Digital PPC1. I happen to have a data sheet for
the chip as a failed project was the use it for bidirectional I/O
(scuppered because I couldn't get enough out of Sun to hack the
driver). If anyone wants a copy I could scan it and put it up for ftp.

Brandon

--
Brandon Butterworth         phone: 01737 836592
BBC Research & Development  fax:   01737 832336