Subject: Re: Cross compile from NetBSD/i386?
To: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/12/1997 17:11:13
>  b) Do the work to migrate to elf in which case I understand shared libs
>     come more or less for free.

That's what I thought, but I've heard on i386 about a problem you get
along with it. I mention this i386 problem on mac68k so people can
be aware of the problem.

It seems that the ELF format was written for SVR4. No other architecture
was envisioned, so there's no standard way to tell architecture types.
This problem gives the emulation determiners a HIDEOUS time (they
will assume a SVR4 emulation when the binary might be a NetBSD or Linux
ELF binary). I think we are putting stuff in to make ID reasonable,
and you should talk to the pmax and alpha ports about it, but Linux
refuses to.

Quite a mess.

Take care,

Bill