Subject: re:SCSI on Sun 3/60
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dean Dillabough <deand@nortel.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/06/1997 15:31:00
In message "SCSI on Sun 3/60", you write:

>Ok, sorry for a stupid question, but I read the relevant info in the FAQ
>and I am curious if anyone knows anything about the scsi connector on the
>back of the 3/60. I opened the case and am under the impression you can't
>put a drive inside the case. So, if the drive must be external, what kind
>of horrible proprietary SCSI plug is this?
>
>-Dave Bobart

If you look on the 3/60 board just near the SCSI connector, you will find
a 2x25 pattern on the board. If you (carefully) remove the solder from these
holes and put in a 2x25 header, it gives you a standard SCSI cable pinout.

I have installed internal SCSI drives in SUN 3/60s. There is a blank area
on the board just behind (in front of ?) the SCSI connector and video
area. It has pre-drilled holes that (magically) line up with the mounting
holes for a 3.5 inch drive. If you use one of the ~1 inch high drives, the
SCSI cable lines up with the 2x25 connector fairly well. The tricky part
is getting power for the drive. With the connector end of the PC board
facing you (blank part with the drive facing away from you), you will see
a set of 4 fairly large holes filled with solder that match the spacing of
the 4 pin drive power connectors pretty closely. Unfortunaltely, these holes
only give you +5V and Ground. To get the +12V the drive needs, you need to
go to the on-board fuses (the clear little plug in cylinders on the board).
The one for the ethernet AUI connector power will give you +12V. I tapped
into these places to get the drive power (check the voltages before connecting
the drive - I'm doing this from memory!). I've been running a system like
this for about 6 months now. As an added bonus, it increases air flow across
the video section and makes the chips there run at almost ambient temperature.
The drive runs about 10 degrees Celcius (about 16 Fahrenheit) above the
ambient temperature.

It almost looks like SUN was considering this option during the design
since things seem to fit so well.

                                                   Dean