Subject: Re[7]: SCSI disk setup for NetBSD on Sun 3/150
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Adrian_Roseboom@hud.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/05/1997 14:45:13
  OK, I fiddled.  I checked the file sizes and found that netbsd-rd was not
  a multiple of 512... I added nulls and padded it to a multiple.  I booted
  from tape again and had the same results.  I had mentioned previously
  that I had been unable to dd _any_ files to my SCSI disk but I dug around
  and found an executable at 1024 bits and it wrote just fine.  That at
  least eliminated a drive error.

  Going back to the tape and checking various sources for MT I found that
  my tape drive wasn't really forwarding during fsf and I couldn't even
  cat/dd/or otherwise anything off it, not even tapeboot.  I am using a
  tapedrive from a Sun386i extension module (tape drive w/SCSI adapter and
  space for one HD) and I think it was having trouble communicating with
  it?  It just didn't seem to want to respond politely after booting.  I'll
  know more soon because..

  I got my 386i to be a little more agreeable and serve NFS for the NetBSD
  system.  After booting from tape I mounted the 386i and installed the
  miniroot from there.  That worked flawlessly and I was able to do the
  rest of the install from there.  I did try getting a package from the
  tape drive (just to check) but it was again unable to find anything.  The
  drive space is cramped, but usable.

  Now that I have NetBSD working I'll try some reading/writing from the
  tape drive to see if that's the problem.  6am rolled around jsut a little
  too early to do that at the time ;)  I'll also try some more weof tests
  and such....

  Thanks for all the help!
  -Adrian

  Tested the Sun Miniroot it booted fine. Then I booted from NetBSD Tape I
  did the following as the instructions said.
  mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
  mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 2
  dd bs=32k if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/rsd0b got the following message:
  st0(si0:4:0) no data found requested size: 64(decimal) data=34 00 00 any
  sugestions?
  -   Rahim Azizarab