Subject: Re[6]: SCSI disk setup for NetBSD on Sun 3/150
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Adrian_Roseboom@hud.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/03/1997 10:49:47
I forgot to mention that I had tried dd'ing some files, like the .welcome
file, into the swap space just to make sure it could write _something_
there.  I got an error but I have far too little caffeine in me to
remember what it was...  I'll be checking the tapes this weekend to make
sure they are being created correctly and that their block size fits.  I'm
getting the feeling this is more of a SCSI disk incompatability than a
tape/install problem in my case.

Just so I have this said explicitly: after disklabeling a non Sun, non
*nix SCSI 1 disk, I _don't_ have to newfs the partition before dd'ing the
miniroot to the b (swap) partition?  I realize I will need to newfs the
partitions from the miniroot once i boot from the SCSI drive, but to get
the miniroot from tape=>rsd0b, I don't need newfs, just dd...

If its hardware I'll scrap the lil baby drive and spend more than $20 on a
newer one :)

thanks for the help, before and upcoming ;)
-A

I got really motivated by all this discussion, and decieded to once again
to try to install the NetBSD on my sun 3/60.  I had a boot tape made some
time ago, and I partitioned and labeled a HD under SunOs 4.1.1.

Tested the Sun Miniroot it booted fine. Then I booted from NetBSD Tape
I did the following as the instructions said.
mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 2
dd bs=32k if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/rsd0b
got the following message:
st0(si0:4:0) no data found requested size: 64(decimal) data=34 00 00
any sugestions?

     .--.  __  .---------     Rahim Azizarab
    / /  \(  )/   ----        1925 S. 3rd Ave
   ////  ' \/ ` ---           Maywood,  IL  60153
  // / / :    :--             708-344-6994
       =UU====UU=             ray@tezcat.com
                              http://www.tezcat.com/users/ray