Subject: Re: Re[2]: SCSI disk setup for NetBSD on Sun 3/150
To: None <Adrian_Roseboom@hud.gov>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@Xenotropic.COM>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/30/1996 12:46:50
In message <9611308519.AA851997411@hudsmtphq.hud.gov>, Adrian_Roseboom@hud.gov
writes:
>  >>No.  sunlabel ought to create perfectly good big-endian labels even on
>  >>little-endian machines, though I haven't been able to test it (yet).
>  >>And the miniroot image is just an octet stream.
>  >>
>  >>Endianism would play a role only if you were trying to actually
>  >>construct a filesystem on the little-endian machine - for exmaple, if
>  >>you were trying to use a NetBSD/i386 machine to newfs and extract the
>  >>tarballs.  Then you _would_ have endian problems.
>
>  >I've succesfully used your sunlabel program, and a canned miniroot to
>  >create a NetBSD/sparc boot disk from a NetBSD/i386 machine.  It was
>  >actually pretty easy.  Thanks for this utility, it's saved me a couple
>  >of times. 8-)
>
>  So... if my labels are OK but all I need to do is newfs my disk, I can do
>  this on a PC based *nix system?  It would be oh so easy for me to pop the
>  drive in and do a CD based boot of Redhat at work (just runs off the CD
>  and boot disks).  Then I should be able to newfs the sucker and go from
>  there.  I can tapeboot just fine at home but that doesn't include newfs
>  :(.  At that point I can dd it from the tape drive.  Why oh why isn't
>  newfs available in the tape boot media (asking innocently but completely
>  ignorantly ;)  I can disklabel all I like but without newfs yer kinda
>  stuck.  I don't wanna be whiny, I'm just curious.

Nope -- the i386 newfs will create a little-endian file system.  What you
need to do is use dd(1) to copy a miniroot on to your disk, then use sunlabel
to give that disk a valid label.  dd(1) is just copying raw bits, it doesn't
care about byte order.

>  -Adrian

Jeremy C. McDermond                                     mcdermj@xenotropic.com
Xenotropic Imaging Systems
"Stupidity is like Nuclear Power; It can be used for good or evil...
 and you don't want to get any on you."                 --From a Dilbert strip