Subject: Re[2]: SCSI disk setup for NetBSD on Sun 3/150
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Adrian_Roseboom@hud.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/30/1996 16:37:37
  >>No.  sunlabel ought to create perfectly good big-endian labels even on
  >>little-endian machines, though I haven't been able to test it (yet).
  >>And the miniroot image is just an octet stream.
  >>
  >>Endianism would play a role only if you were trying to actually
  >>construct a filesystem on the little-endian machine - for exmaple, if
  >>you were trying to use a NetBSD/i386 machine to newfs and extract the
  >>tarballs.  Then you _would_ have endian problems.

  >I've succesfully used your sunlabel program, and a canned miniroot to
  >create a NetBSD/sparc boot disk from a NetBSD/i386 machine.  It was
  >actually pretty easy.  Thanks for this utility, it's saved me a couple
  >of times. 8-)

  So... if my labels are OK but all I need to do is newfs my disk, I can do
  this on a PC based *nix system?  It would be oh so easy for me to pop the
  drive in and do a CD based boot of Redhat at work (just runs off the CD
  and boot disks).  Then I should be able to newfs the sucker and go from
  there.  I can tapeboot just fine at home but that doesn't include newfs
  :(.  At that point I can dd it from the tape drive.  Why oh why isn't
  newfs available in the tape boot media (asking innocently but completely
  ignorantly ;)  I can disklabel all I like but without newfs yer kinda
  stuck.  I don't wanna be whiny, I'm just curious.

  -Adrian