Subject: Re: SCSI disk setup for NetBSD on Sun 3/150
To: der Mouse <mouse@holo.rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@Xenotropic.COM>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/30/1996 09:32:30
>No.  sunlabel ought to create perfectly good big-endian labels even on
>little-endian machines, though I haven't been able to test it (yet).
>And the miniroot image is just an octet stream.
>
>Endianism would play a role only if you were trying to actually
>construct a filesystem on the little-endian machine - for exmaple, if
>you were trying to use a NetBSD/i386 machine to newfs and extract the
>tarballs.  Then you _would_ have endian problems.

I've succesfully used your sunlabel program, and a canned miniroot to create
a NetBSD/sparc boot disk from a NetBSD/i386 machine.  It was actually pretty
easy.  Thanks for this utility, it's saved me a couple of times. 8-)

>> Hmm, might be easier to find a friendly neighborhood NetBSD'er and
>> stop by to get the thing right, depending on what your locale is ;-).
>
>Yeah.  Original poster, if you're anywhere near Montreal, I can build
>you a boot disk No Problem. :-)
>
>					der Mouse
>
>			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
>		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B
Jeremy C. McDermond                                     mcdermj@xenotropic.com
Xenotropic Imaging Systems
"Stupidity is like Nuclear Power; It can be used for good or evil...
 and you don't want to get any on you."                 --From a Dilbert strip