Subject: Re: SCSI disk setup for NetBSD on Sun 3/150
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/30/1996 10:20:20
>>> If not, could I use a SCO Unix machine (running on another 586) to
>>> write the system to the disk?

>> Almost certainly.

> Well, considering that SCO is very System V'ish ([...]), this might
> be a stretch.

As long as it can write the disklabel to the first sector and write the
miniroot image to the place where the disklabel says the b partition
is, I don't care if it's SysV or BSD...or VMS or even VM/CMS.

> Maybe my brain hasn't returned from Xmas vacation yet (or just turned
> into a giant frostbyte in -40F windchills, dunno..),
:-)
> but shouldn't endian'ism play a role here, too?

No.  sunlabel ought to create perfectly good big-endian labels even on
little-endian machines, though I haven't been able to test it (yet).
And the miniroot image is just an octet stream.

Endianism would play a role only if you were trying to actually
construct a filesystem on the little-endian machine - for exmaple, if
you were trying to use a NetBSD/i386 machine to newfs and extract the
tarballs.  Then you _would_ have endian problems.

> Hmm, might be easier to find a friendly neighborhood NetBSD'er and
> stop by to get the thing right, depending on what your locale is ;-).

Yeah.  Original poster, if you're anywhere near Montreal, I can build
you a boot disk No Problem. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca