Subject: Re: adding swap as files?
To: Jari Kokko <jkokko@tnso09.tele.nokia.fi>
From: Elijah Wright <ewright@multipro.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/10/1996 08:48:41
At 09:43 AM 12/10/96 +0200, you wrote:

>Do you _want_ to swap to a file? Or do you want to swap to another
>disk? If the latter, you have to build a new kernel... I don't think
>that swapping to files is supported.

According to the other replies I've gotten, you use vnconfig and the
/dev/vnd? devices to set up a pointer to a file as a block device.  <shrug>

>Remove options GENERIC, and change the line config generic to
>something like config root on sd0a dump on sd0b swap on sd0b and
>sd4b... and add a correct line in /etc/fstab (man fstab).

Sounds like what others have said.  I was trying to dodge compiling another
kernel for this machine, but for some reason vnd? is commented out of the
GENERIC config file from 1.1.  I'm going to uncomment it for future
usefulness and do the swap on the raw /dev/sd4b partition.

It is really handy to know about /dev/vnd? and vnconfig, though... I can
think of lots of things that I could do with that.  =)

Elijah.

CC'ed to port-sun3 due to the discussion of /dev/vnd? not being in the
config file for GENERIC.  Should it really be there?  How much overhead
would it cause?  Is there a security risk?  (Not that I'm worried in my
environment...)