Subject: NetBSD/sun3 stability?
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <endicor@crl.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/02/1996 14:09:32
How stable is the sun3 port these days? Were the si driver/pmap/dynamicly
linked programs start dumping core problems ever resolved?

I have a production(ish) 24M 3/60 that runs mail, name service, and a
small news feed. I've been running SunOS 4.1 up until now. Our UUCP/ISP
went out of business on _very_ short notice, and we've decided to install
an ISDN line now that prices have dropped to a reasonable level. However,
having the mail machine running an old SunOS with many well-known security
problem makes me nervous, even behind a firewall.  So I'm looking at
switching to NetBSD until such time as the machine gets replaced by a PC
(running NetBSD). Comments on the advisability of this?

Incidentally, if anyone else is running a small internet setup somewhere
geographicly and network-toplogywise distant from us, I'd be happy to
trade out secondary nameservice. Besides the decrepit Sun, we also
have a 486 NetBSD machine doing nameservice. We're in San Antonio,
Texas, and our new link will be off of a FIBRNET/FIBRCOM customer.