Subject: Sun 3/50 as a net peripheral
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Clarence W. Wilkerson <wilker@hopf.math.purdue.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/01/1996 12:48:50
We have a stack of 3/50 and 3/60 bases in reserve. Unfortunately, in our
application of them as X-terminals, the monitors seem to die long before
the CPU's, so we have an excess of the bases.

Instead of thinking of them as workstations, I'd like to be able to
access their 2 ( or 4 ) serial ports, and scsi port over the ethernet.

The model I have in mind is a minimal kernel running with a ram disk
as swap, like the X-kernel from Columbia for the X-terminal use.

So questions

1) what's the minimal kernel configuration that will support network
traffic and streams support of a serial port?

2) How crazy would it be to try to drive the pins on the scsi port to
use as a parallel printer port. If not impossible, how fast could
this be?

3) If not, how about a more intelligent scsi -to - printer interface?

Thanks, Clarence Wilkerson

------- End of Forwarded Message