Subject: Improved OBIO configuration
To: None <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/30/1996 13:34:46
> From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:31:23 -0500 (EST)

[ Lots of files changed in sys/arch/sun3/dev ... ]

>     okay, so what's up Gordon?

I've improved OBIO configuration a little after learning some more
about how autoconfiguration works.  Some time ago, when I added the
"mainbus" driver and such, I changed the OBIO driver to use "direct"
style autoconfiguration.  One unintended effect was that children of
the OBIO driver would get extra "match" calls.  I dealt with that by
adding some "cruft" to all drivers that attach to OBIO, only because
I didn't see a better way to do it.  The better way, I now see, is
to define a "submatch" function for the OBIO driver, and use explicit
addresses in the config file for all OBIO devices.  This allows the
removal of the "cruft" from all those OBIO match functions.

Anyone with privately maintained config files will need to make sure
all their OBIO devices have an explicit address (no ? allowed) or the
drivers will not be matched.  The OBIO addresses never change anyway.

Oh yes, the cg4 driver now supports the "Type A" hardware (as found
in the Sun3/110) thanks to Ezra Story and Scott Ellis.

Gordon Ross