Subject: Re: AIX (ignoreable)
To: None <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/29/1996 17:53:20
   BSD on the RT was "AOS" - academic operating system, if I recall.

   I don't think we ever saw AIX on the RT (at MIT Project Athena, which
   had probably the second largest collection of RT's, the largest being
   of course CMU, who also ran AOS) though we did have AIX on PS2 (386/16
   and /25 boxes) which mostly served as a "disproof of concept" :-) at
   about the same time or maybe a little later.  So it may have existed
   (and I do remember talk about the AOS/AIX schizophrenia within IBM at
   the time, though I think it was also cross platform) but it didn't see
   much of the world...

AIX was available for the RT [at least the model we had].  I saw it
first hand when I was attending the University of Cincinnati ....

.... that is, just before we formated the hard drives and put
Mt. Xniu's BSDish Mach[ish] OS on them all.  It seemed to work a bit
better.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org