Subject: Re: help with booting
To: None <bart@innoconn.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/27/1996 00:08:41
Hi,

this is sort of a late reply, but better late than never.  When
we recently replaced our broken root disk in our hp425 we had to
net-boot it as well, and stumbled upon exactly the problems you
saw -- the SYS_NBOOT or the SYS_INST programs were transferred to
the HP system Just Fine, but when these programs actually tried
to use the network to fetch stuff, they failed at varying stages
in the process.

The fix in our case turned out to be to set up a small ethernet
connecting *only* the boot server and the HP system.  In this
case the installation went OK, and we were able to go back to
normal operation booting from local disk.

We suspect that the standalone device drivers for the AMD Lance
ethernet chip are at fault, and that they can't handle sitting on
a moderately (?) busy ethernet.

I see recently some other folks have reported problems net-
booting Sun3 systems, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that
those problems have the same root as the one you reported on, if
that's of any consolation...

For reference (and since this is a while ago), I include the
body of your message below.

Regards,

- Havard