Subject: Re: rarp failing
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/26/1996 12:56:22
I'm able to remote boot my sun 3/60.  My kernel is 1.1  (accually I can't
do a full boot, I have something screwed up in my config, and I havnen't
had a chance to look, but I do have a console prompt of some sort, so the
kernel is at least loaded)

I'm useing linux 2.0.    Note, if you are using linux to netboot you need
to compile rarp into your kernel, this is normally not done, so if you
have linux, compile your own kernel.  This may or may not be true of
other OSes used as a RARP server.  If you haven't accually captured a
RARP reply, don't be sure that replys are sent.  (okay, so I have spent a
bit too much on pre-alpha networking code)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, VaX#n8 wrote:

> So is ANYBODY able to netboot?  My Sun 3/60s aren't getting replies back,
> but tcpdump shows the replies are sent.  Is there a bug in the rarpd
> code?  I'm struggling to get the third machine up on the net and
> run tcpdump on it, but I'm betting I won't see any (uncorrupted) packets,
> else the Suns would be _doing_ something, like trying to tftp.
>
> Note: my kernel and userland are pretty old.

I'd probably upgrade on general principals, but it shouldn't be needed.