Subject: Re: NetBSD on sun3x
To: None <fair@clock.org>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/24/1996 09:49:01
> From: "Erik E. Fair" (Timekeeper) <fair@cesium.clock.org>
> Date: 	Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:46:13 -0700
>
> Of course, the Mac versions of NetBSD already run on 68030, so the code for
> the 030 MMU exists. What other architectural differences are there?

There are many architectural differences.  In particular, the various
separate physical address spaces on the sun3 (obio, obmem, ...) are
not present in the sun3x.  Instead, it divides up the physical address
space and uses regions for the equivalents of the old spaces.

Work continues to proceed on a sun3x kernel.  It's not yet to the
point where more people would be helpful.  Once the kernel is to
the point where it boots and stops in ddb, then we will announce
that fact and invite people to help with drivers.

Until then, please be patient...  (I would rather Jeremy worked on
the pmap code instead of spending time answering e-mail! 8^)

Gordon